Thursday, March 5, 2009

Me & My MacBook


To be perfectly honest, I love my Dell desktop. It's this big, honking massive computer, but it can do anything I throw its way. I also like the stability of always being able to complete my work in one place. It makes me more productive. And part of me still looks at laptops like toys; I can't do serious work on a laptop. I can play a mean game of Text Twist, but I just can't do real work on a laptop.

When I studied abroad in France two years ago, I was forced to buy a laptop to take with me. Luckily, the French university system didn't require I do that much work, so I was able to get things done. At the same time, I kept my laptop in exactly the same place everyday, so I could have that stability I love so.

I'm heading abroad again after graduation, so the laptop was again necessary. This time, however, my mom had commandeered my former Dell laptop to use for her more and more extensive travels. This gave me the opportunity to join the cool crowd and buy a MacBook. I also got the Adobe Creative Suite, since I wanted to expand my web design and Photoshop skills.

Never having used a MacBook before, it is a transition that takes getting used to. I keep trying to right click and nothing happens! It is no where close to becoming my primary computer, since my desktop is still around and still awesome. I think over spring break I'm just going to have to force myself to use nothing but my MacBook for a week, so I can get totally comfortable with it.

Come June 1, when I'm in Salzburg, Austria, it's going to be my only computer.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same pain your going through with your macbook. My friend broke my HP laptop so he let me borrow his his macbook until my laptop got fixed. By the time I finally got used to using a mac, my laptop was done being repaired so learning how to use the macbook was pointless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the 21st century! When I think of desktops, I think of my parents gigantic one which takes about 15 minutes to warm up because it's about 10 years old. I've been rocking a laptop since I got to college, but only take it out of my room on occasion. I just like the ability to move it if I have to. One day maybe I'll get a Mac, when I make lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha i know what you mean about the right click... so true. That's why i'm sticking with an hp :)

    ReplyDelete